Paris France, Day One

Yes, I'm alive. Sorry this is a day late ๐Ÿ˜

Okay so first let me offer my sincerest apologies to my father because I can only imagine the thoughts running through your head right now ("it's about time. We thought you'd run off and left leaving pooorrrrr dad here without a word.") BUT. I do have an excellent excuse as to why this is so late...I didn't have wifi access! Can't blame me! But just look at it like this: you'll get to read TWO posts today instead of just one :) 

I truly feel like Friday and Saturday were one long, endless day, as who can sleep on a plane, especially when there is a screaming two year old sitting behind you who cried most of the ride (but she was on her way to see Memaw so I'm sure that crying stopped when she arrived). 


Our first endeavor was simply leaving the airport, as we had one relatively long train ride into the city and then a ride on the Paris Metro (just like any of the rest in the world so that's always a nice familiarity. Then, we were here. My first thoughts when I saw the city for the first time? "Am I in New York? No, Kellie, you're in France. You're in Paris. That's Les Invalides. OH MY GOODNESS, YOU. ARE. IN. PARIS. FRANCE. LIKE WHAT IS THIS LIFE?" Then, "Okay, so this place you've been learning about all semester really exists. It wasn't just one big conspiracy." Then, we saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time, a short walk down the block, across the Champs de Mars that lies across the street (from where we were standing) from Ecole Militaire, our Metro stop! Ah, that first look is strange...so much history right there, you can't even fathom it. As Paris is a city of political movements, one after another, everywhere you walk has some connection to one of those events, many of them revolutionary. Literally, I mean how many revolutions has this city had?


Above is my first picture of the Eiffel Tower and trust me, it's as divine as it looks. Literally every direction you turn in this city you'll see something beautiful.

We began our day by first checking into the hotel, and mom I laughed dearly when me and Paige was assigned our room as it is......on the SIXTH FLOOR. Ahaha, didn't I tell you everywhere you go in Europe you will encounter steps? This beautiful little place is no exception but I can tell you right now, once you reach the top and open those windows, that huffy, out of breath feeling that is so absolutely American is worth it: OUR VIEW IS PERFECT. The top of Les Invalides is just behind some apartment buildings across the way. The street below is lined with trees giving their leaves over to fall and the sounds of a leisurely Parisian Saturday drifted up...it was probably the first time I felt something different, something foreign in the air.
The gold dome peeking up behind the building in the top picture is ales Invalides.

Lunch. Such a wonderful word, especially in our family but especially in France! We walked just down thestreet to the left and turned down this perfect street. Oh my goodness it was so French and I loved it! Mom, I hope this reminds you of a Little Italy because I nearly expected to look over and see you and dad sitting at a little table eating! 
A few words: Boulangerie, Macaroons, Fashion, Food, Fresh, Old, PARIS.

So good and so like Pizzeria Donna in Prague! I was in love! Although, the ham was not my favorite which they apparently put on everything here.

Okay, so yes I realize I'm throwing all of these names at you of places that you cannot pronounce, let alone know what they mean. So what is Les Invalides (lays invaleed) you ask? It is an incredible structure built in the 1600s by Louis XIV meant to be a military hospital/veterans nursing home, and the dome is the centerpiece, a part of the Gallican church, built in complete defiance of the Pope, as Louis the Sun King felt that he had as much power as the pope and was just as divine in nature, as he was an absolutist monarch who felt God put him on the throne. What do I mean by "in defiance?" He modeled the church after St. Peter's Basilica in Rome (see one of my past posts for pictures...the fact that I just typed that blows my mind...) however instead of having the symbols within stand for God and his disciples, they stand for past monarchs in the country and great things France has done. It truly is an astounding structure made all the more impressive that it was built so long ago. Napoleon was brought here and placed within a 7 layer casket in the 1840s in the center of the church beneath the dome in such a way that you have to either bow down to look at him or, once you go down the stairs, look up to him. Such a perfect way to honor this ambitious man, eh? All around the walls beside his casket are etched carvings that depict one great thing he did for France as a nation...its incredible to me that a man is honored in such a way as that. I wonder when he knew, as he must have, that he was leaving such a great impact on the world, as he did. He created the Metric System and spread it throughout his empire. He created his law code and spread it as well, which is what Louisiana uses at home. Pretty incredible, this man. 
The view from "bowing down " to Napoleon. Notice the carvings in the wall around it?

Altogether, Les Invalides is a great representation of the long struggle between the great absolute monarchs and the power of the church. There was such a power struggle between the pope and the kings at the time, and Louis XIV sought to express this here. Then, Napoleon comes along 200 years later and is entombed here Becuase he was yet another great leader that brought "order from the chaos" that surrounded the French government from the French Revolution. Such a product of the Enlightenment. 

After leaving the church, we walked through the inner courtyard and out the back to get probably the most breathtaking view I've seen here yet. 



How perfect: a new bride and groom stopping to admire the view on their wedding night!

We ended this moment at the Champs-ร‰lysรฉes, a huge blvd created during the Haussmann Reforms under Napoleon III in order to stop the Parisians from barricading the streets so easily. Lol at that one, eh? Although it was certainly a problem, as they have an a incredible tendency to do that. It was also pretty fantastic that we are here at Christmas time and they have a huge festival going on along the blvd with so many people out. It reminds me of something I've heard before...what is an American? For all I knew, I could have been at a festival in an American city last night, until I begin listening to the buzz of languages around me and realized none of them were English. It made me love and appreciate our country even more for our great diversity.

I'll take better pictures of it later.

We made our way to an interesting place...Centre de Pompidou. It is a museum of modern art so naturally mom and dad would aLove it! (its similar to the one y'all went to in DC) with chairs bolted to the wall and piles of metal on a podium. But hey, it's art! Although they did have some super incredible stuff, like original Jackson Pollocks and. Kandinskys. Wow. 

We walked further, to hotel de vile, yet another center of political activism in the past, where the minister of flower had his heart cut out during the revolutions and paraded around on a a stake during July of 1789. I'm telling you, these people were vicious. Or determined. Whichever you see it.
We made our way then to Notre Dame and then on to food in a perfect little place, despite it being a tourist trap!
Greek food ! I was exhausted by this point so my camera did not come out but do no fret ! You will see pictures later! 

That's all for yesterday and now we are about to start our day so after this interesting cup of coffee, warm milk and yogurt. Yay for ice and bacon! Love you all and see you soon !!!! ❤️❤️❤️



PS: this is a view down the stairs from our room. So despite the chocolate I'm eating, simply walking up these flights totally cancels it out! :)



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts